I love soup. I had carrots. I had apples. I needed dinner. May-Gray was upon us and it was an overcast and chilly-ish day. So I made this soup:
With this salad:
Which was delicious with this salad dressing:
Carrot Apple Soup
Adapted slightly from this recipe.
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and chopped
3 apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 yellow onion
1 can full-fat coconut milk
3 cups water
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
3 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil etc)
1. In a stock pot add oil, salt, and onions. Sauté onions until translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add chopped carrots and apple, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk, water, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Cover pot and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Remove lid and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes, then blend with immersion blender (or any blender of choice).
7. Garnish with cilantro.
Cilantro? Yes, cilantro. A friend brought me carrot soup when I was on bed rest with Tabitha. It was garnished with sour cream and cilantro. I was pleasantly surprised by how well cilantro goes with the carrots and ginger. You should try it!